Monday 8 November 2010

The Reason Behind The Blog!



Truth be told ... I have always wanted to write a blog but until now I could never find a reason.


Enter my Great Uncle Wilfred Haughton! A cartoonist, a writer of cartoons and Mickey Mouse Annuals.


It all started to unfold last night when I went online to find a Mickey Mouse Annual for my Dad for Christmas.


I didn't find what I was looking for so I decided to do some research on his art work. I discovered that he was a very talented guy. Not only did he draw and write but he created several characters that were printed in national newspapers and childrens annuals.


Great Uncle Wilfred was the first artist hired in 1935 by William B. Levy, European Sales Director of Walt Disney Merchandising, to create a new magazine called Mickey Mouse Weekly.


My great uncle drew Mickey Mouse on a regular basis! How cool! To think I actually went to Disney World, Florida a few times & had no idea a member of my family helped promote Disney in the UK!
It's strange to think all this time people have been talking on the internet and in papers about a member of my family . It is a very surreal feeling. I am fascinated now with his life and his work.
So, now you know why I have started this Blog. I feel the need to write about a man who deserves the facts written about him. He was a brother, a father, a husband, an uncle, a cousin but mostly he was a creative artist who deserves some recognition.
Above is a picture drawn by Wilfred Haughton.

No comments:

Post a Comment